Warn your Children about playing with matches
Many Chicagoians do not know Chicago provides support for the Chicago Firefighters with the Department of Water Management. The hydrant crew and the Sewer Divisions assisted to get the sewers open and fix the fire hydrants. Read this story by ABC Channel 7 News.
July 13, 2007 - A grandfather who suffered burns to his hands grabbed his grandson and left the building after the child started an extra-alarm fire playing with matches on Friday afternoon on the South Side. The blaze claimed the life of two dogs.
The fire, which broke out about 1 p.m. at 3644 S. Parnell Ave. and spread to 3642 and 3646 S. Parnell Ave., was mostly under control as of 2:25 p.m. after an extra alarm was called "for manpower" about 2 p.m., according to Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford.
The grandfather, who suffered burns on his hands when he tried to put out the fire, which started near some furniture, said he didn't want to be taken to the hospital and crews were treating him on the scene, Langford said. He still may be hospitalized, Langford said.
The man was watching his four- or five-year-old grandson, who was in another room of the 3644 S. Parnell Ave. building, when the fire broke out. The man tried to put the fire out but "it got away from him'' and he "did the right thing'' when he grabbed the boy and ran out of the building so fire crews could take over, Langford said.
The boy. who was not hurt, later told his grandfather that he had been playing with matches.
Another man was being treated on the scene for smoke inhalation because he went inside one of the buildings to try to rescue three dogs, Langford said. Two dogs died on the scene and one was revived.
The building at 3642 has a grocery store and a deli on the first floor and residences on the second.
Also parents should quit smoking for their kids safety. Photo by Patrick McDonough.