I sure hope you op-ed out. If you do the math, you will get about 8-9,000.00 apiece as settlement. This is lousy for anyone that accepted the Shakman settlement. Years of phony promotions, cheated out of overtime, lower pensions. Read Fran Spielman’s take, click below. This is a sad chapter for Chicago City Workers. Patrick McDonough.
]]>1400 lay claim on $12 mil. City Hall fund
October 1, 2007
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
More than 1,400 people have staked claim to the $12 million fund created to compensate victims of City Hall’s rigged hiring system, a federal monitor said today.
“It tells me what everyone has known all along: Political patronage continued to run rampant” long after the Shakman decree banned political hiring and firing, said Ald. Joe Moore (49th).
“After being in city government for over 20 years, I shouldn’t be surprised. But, that’s a pretty significant number. Not all those claims will be legitimate. But, even if 10 percent have merit, it’s still a large number.”
Federal monitor Noelle Brennan disclosed the 1,443 figure and said that “hundreds” of those claims poured in at the end of last week. Friday was the deadline for those who claim they were bypassed for jobs and promotions in favor of applicants with clout.
“I’m not surprised” at the number of claims, she said.
The monitor and her staff will now review the content of each claim and make certain each includes facts and supporting documents necessary to make a final judgement. Additional information could be requested — both from the applicant and from the city.
The agreement establishes a $100,000 cap on individual damages. The awards will apply only to those who can prove they’ve been bypassed for city jobs and promotions since Jan. 1, 2000. Last year alone, 120,000 people applied for city jobs.
“Once the factual information for all the claims is in our office, we’ll have to start making financial decisions based on factors included in the consent decree,” Brennan said.
Last year, Mayor Daley’s former patronage chief was convicted of rigging city hiring and promotions to benefit pro-Daley armies of political workers. Former Streets and Sanitation Commissioner Al Sanchez is awaiting trial on similar charges.
In April, Daley agreed to create the $12 million fund as part of an out-of-court settlement that allows the city to get out from under the Shakman decree on Dec. 31, 2008, if it can prove substantial compliance at that time. The ban on political hiring and firing will be replaced by an executive order.
Earlier this year, Brennan told the Chicago Sun-Times that individual awards would be based on the strength of the claim, the level of evidence provided and the overall number of claimants. If 10 claims are filed about the same promotion, “economic damage has to be proportionate,” she said.
“If it’s a failure-to-hire claim, you’ll have to show you applied for a job. If it’s failure to promote, you’ll have to demonstrate . . . that the person selected over you was chosen for an improper reason. You’ll have to at least be able to tell us who got the job,” Brennan said.
She added, “I’m not gonna hold against anybody the fact that they’ve been involved in politics.”
Aldermen who have chafed under the monitor’s iron-fisted control over hiring since 2005 have also griped about her absolute power to dole out claims.
But, Brennan has a track record. She distributed $36 million to victims of sexual harassment at Mitsubishi and $10 million in a similar case against Dial.